View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #138
DavidG

Default Re: 1933 can't start after recent restart

Charlie,

With respect, he said that he can't see the valves through a spark plug hole in the head, so he's after the timing gear side cover. Perhaps with more experience in the future he will be comfortable with trying the timing pin approach. My experience with many fours is that the whole business of using the timing pin to establish the starting point to set the points is highly overrated and that visual confirmation of the position of the #1 piston is far more reliable as a starting point to set the points in conjunction with a timing light.

He's doing what is required on a '33 to gain access to all three bolts on the front timing gear cover that attach to the side cover (the removal of six bolts is required to remove the side cover as I belatedly acknowledged above). That access is a big deal on a '33-'34 four, unlike on a '32 because of the far greater width of the front motor mount bracket as shown in the photo above.

No harm will come from removing the timing gear side cover and doing so will define beyond all doubt the role of the timing gear in this "soap opera" (Frank West's words). I regret that my well-meaning contributions have elongated the script.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote