View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #11
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Default Re: Rear main seal options - which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Herm, you said, "I also put Sealant on the 3 front and center nuts to the outside of the block with new lock washers on all 4 front, and center main nuts, along with New lock washers."

I am used to seeing main bearing nuts secured with cotters, not lock washers. With the torque required for clamping down the caps, what happens when a lock washer breaks?

Well, we have used new Lock Washers, ( not China, ) but good ones, for 54 years, I have never had one break. Many Model A's that have come in over the years, have had only the Nuts on the main bolts, and they are just as hard to get off as if it had been Keyed !

The torque should be 80 Ft. Pounds. If there is room, we put lock washers on it.

The only washers I have seen break are old rusted, reused ones that were small and used over many times.

Modern engines use lock washers, on the Mains, and rods, some use split lock nuts.

We have always bolted on Model T flywheels with lock washers.

Flywheel Housings for the Model A, we Lock washer, I would do the flywheel also, but there is no room.

I have always used Lock Washers on the Model T Piston Wrist pin, pinch bolt, those Cotter Keys are a joke !

Thanks,

Herm.

Last edited by Kohnke Rebabbitting; 07-09-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote