Thread: flathead I.D.
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
mickeyc

Default Re: flathead I.D.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Mickey, if the L is large, and immediately below the 59, then it is is what is known as a 59L block. A much smaller L, grouped with other smaller casting numbers would not have significant meaning.

59L blocks were produced in the 1945 and later time frame, some were military, some commercial, and some were replacement blocks. Most if not all 59L blocks were factory relieved. The fact that yours has A heads may mean that it was a replacement block, as the A heads were earlier.

It would be interesting to know if the A heads on your engine had been flycut to accommodate the wider stance of the later valves, of if your block had the earlier valve configuration.
The L is large and by itself directly below the 59 lettering on the block.
The previous owner assured me this motor runs very well? It is currently installed in a 32 chassis. I will try to start it as soon as I can get to it.
I want to do a compression and oil pressure check on the motor. Also if it does run well I want to install this in a stock Model A I have. The A has a knock in its motor and I thought the flat head would make a nice replacement?
mickeyc is offline   Reply With Quote