View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 12:27 PM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: Re-cored radiator and still loosing colant

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The water level just above the core is where it's supposed to be. It finally reached its level of happiness, so don't add more coolant or else that will get spit out, too.
Also, put a roofing nail with a wide head inside the overflow tube up top. That will drastically reduce the amount of coolant exiting at the bottom of the tube.
If you are running a split radiator cap - like 99% of modern owners do - use a thicker O-ring or cardboard/fiber ring between the two halves to the point that you have to exert a great deal of downward pressure as you twist the two halves together. The Flying Quail and Moto-O-Meter reproduction caps may look great, but they are designed leakers between their halves. I finally gave up on that repo crap and now use a factory style flat cap when doing highway or sustained long distance drives because coolant doesn't blow out. Around town I put the flying quail back on. Until I can buy an original FC radiator cap that functions properly, I have resigned myself to do this so that I can keep my sanity - and temper.
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 09-09-2018 at 01:19 PM. Reason: corrected numerous stupid spelling mistakes
Marshall V. Daut is online now   Reply With Quote