View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 08:09 AM   #19
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: GAS TANK un SEALER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Tucson View Post
Just a clarification from an old biochemist messing with metals in and on old Fords et al.: Sodium (or Potassium) Hydroxide solutions (lyes) are strong alkalis (not acids) and given enough time and at particularly elevated temperatures will attack and dissolve Tin, Aluminum, Zinc and Cadmium, Chromium, and Copper. But not iron or steel, and therefore they are great cleaning agents for most metals (Oil Eater is a great carbon remover for pistons and valves IF used judiciously; it will remove carbon at a far greater rate than it will remove Aluminum from pistons for example).

If I had a flaking old tank sealer on a degraded gas tank and could not afford to cut it open for restoration I would not hesitate to clean it with lye (or similar alkalis) with frequent monitoring to determine its effectiveness despite knowing that I am slowly removing any (if any) residual original Terne plating. Then a "modern" sealer could be used if trusted (I frankly don't know) or scrupulously avoiding any addition of moisture in the gas tank with perhaps the addition of a top end oil to the fuel might prolong the further rusting of exposed steel in the tank.
You are correct on both comment Rich, the Sodium Hydroxide is a base however when it is shipped, evidently the government and the shipping companies don't realize this as they require it to be labeled as an acid and I must pay the hazardous fee associated with the freight charge.

The other thing we find is that the Terne coating inside the tank does indeed get dissolved when using the Sodium Hydroxide. The one thing that we both need to mention is that anyone that does use the Sodium Hydroxide for cleaning needs to use EXTREME caution when using this stuff. Even when it is room temperature, I know from personal experience that a 15% solution of NaOH will burn your skin. When that concentration is heated, it becomes even more dangerous. Splash it in your eye and it will likely damage your eye. Get it on your skin and, ...well you know.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote