View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017, 11:28 AM   #24
blucar

Default Re: Slightly O.T. - Looking for info on best car trailer winch to purchase

Tow vehicles, winches and trailers all fit into the same category, To quote "tubman".. "If some is good, more is better, and to much is just enough".. Think Fords V8 60.. Ya it was a V8, however, it was also the biggest joke Ford ever tried to push onto the consumers of America.
My tow vehicle is a Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Super Duty, I have two trailers, a 20' 10k enclosed and a 20' 8,500 lb flat. Both trailers have 10k/9k winches.
Many years ago I started out with a 1/2 tow vehicle and a 14' trailer w/ surge brakes on one axle, no winch. The first time I tried to load a vehicle onto the trailer. it took four of us with the aid of a tractor pushing, Pushing a vehicle (39 Chevy) up a 18" incline in the dirt. No fun!! I then bought two come-along cable winches. My next load was a '39 convertible, no engine or front end. Loading went better, two guys and two come-along cable winches, one of which broke just as we were about loaded.
It was obvious that I had to rethink my needs and adjust the equipment I was trying to use. I bought a 20' 8,500# trailer with electric brakes on both axles. I researched winches, opting for a 9k electric from Harbor Freight. I then got rid of the Chevy C10, bought the Ford Super Duty in 2002. I bought the 20' enclosed trailer in 2003, added the 10k winch within three months.
It has been my experience that tow vehicles and the trailers they pull, rise, or fail to the occasions that they encounter. I am constantly being asked to haul something for someone, I've learned the hard way not to loan my outfit (s) to anyone. My standard answer is usually, go spend $75 K for an outfit of your own..