View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #8
tubman

Default Re: Slightly O.T. - Looking for info on best car trailer winch to purchase

I hate to admit this, but I have a $59.95 2000 LB Harbor freight winch on mine. The heaviest car I have loaded was my '51 Ford (or my 67 Corvette; I don't off-hand know which is heavier). I had no problem with it. It also comes with a remote control, which is real handy. I figure that in the unlikely situation I want to load something heavier, I can buy a pulley with a hook and double the pull. I have had this one on my trailer for over 10 years with no problems. In addition, this worked so well that I bought an identical unit for my boat lift. It's been on there out in the weather for at least 6 years, and the only thing that went wrong is the relay corroded and quit working. I found a replacement relay on eBay for less than $20.00. This started out as a quick and dirty way to get my trailer ready to load my race car to go to a race, but since they work so well and their trouble-free nature, I just kept using them. Also, if one of them does go bad, I have an immediate replacement available. One of these days, I'm going to order another to keep on the shelf as a spare, but I never get around to it.

Oh, one thing; make sure that you get one that has "power-in" and "power out".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote