View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 12:29 AM   #14
rrich1

Default Re: I think I killed my starter

Thanks for the replies so far! A little update:

I was able to use the fan belt and spin the engine by hand so the engine is not seized. Yay!

The battery was replaced last month by the previous owner. I have a feeling that I attempted to start the engine too many times, too often, (hoping a quick spray cleaning of the carb would work. it didnt so I will be taking the carb off and at a minimum cleaning it. I purchased a rebuild kit and it arrived today) which 1. caused the starter to get stuck. And 2 not able to keep it running I possibly ran the battery down. I borrowed a 6v charger and have the battery on it right now. After about 30 min I used jumper cables and hooked the negative cable to the copper post of the starter and the positive to the area where it bolts to the flywheel housing. I got nothing. But that could also be the battery didnt have enough juice yet. The charger doesn't say but i believe it is a trickle charger.

I will soak the front gasket for the pan tonight in oil and hope to get it installed tomorrow night after I get the kids to bed.

I took a top pic of the pulley and attached it below.
rrich1 is offline   Reply With Quote