View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #9
tubman

Default Re: Sacrificial Anode

Thank you "34fordy" for the enlightened response. The others are quite interesting as well. I am particularly encouraged to hear about the amount of sediment that these produce; that would seem to indicate that they are working. I would think that most of the particles in the cooling system will be coming from the anode and not my aluminum heads. The maintenance on my cars includes a change of anti-freeze and a good backflushing about every 5 years, so these particles should not be a problem. If you're going to leave the anti-freeze in your car for 15-20 years, maybe one of these may not be the best solution for you.

We all know the problems with original '30's Ford aluminum heads and used finned aluminum heads. I have passed on many sets of heads that had large areas eaten away by corrosion. It IS a problem and I am trying to do my best to eliminate or at least minimize it. I haven't seen a decent set of the Edmunds heads I like so much for sale for several years now, so I'm trying to preserve what I have. If you're using cast iron heads, this is probably not required, because they are not susceptible to corrosion and, let's face it, they're a free for the asking in the community.

As to the "snake oil" comment, I can sorta relate because Chemistry was always my toughest subject in school. and why stuff like this works is a mystery to me. I have learned to trust the accepted science behind the concept, which is why I included the "Galvanic Table" in my original post.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote