View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
braol

Default New surprises with my 'new' 31-Tudor

As I continue to sort through my new-to-me '31 Tudor I am finding more interesting non-OEM parts on the car.

1) After reading an article in The Tudor Book I have determined that the ignition key is non-standard. It is cut on both edges of the key...as opposed to being cut on only one edge as in the original keys. It is still a pop-out switch however.

2) I have door lock keys but they do not work. I will check the codes on the handle shaft at some point here.

3) Some old pros are going to skewer me on this one but my engine serial number does NOT match the title. Personally I don't care but it could be an issue if I ever try to sell. I will be checking the frame serial number soon. Might just have been an engine swap at some point.

4) The box of parts I have includes an old Tillotson carb.

5) My front seats are vinyl. I knew this wasn't original when I got the car but it is an interesting point of conversation. They didn't have vinyl in 1931 I don't think... The rear seat is just a solid black 'wool' material that is very scratchy. Headliner and side fabric and welting is new.

6) Fiberglass rear fenders. Oh well...they look good.

7) Electric wiper. No provision for a vacuum wiper on the intake manifold....

8) New front drums...original or old rears.

9) No shocks.

10) New taillights.

11) Car is a Standard Tudor but it has painted rims in the pinstripe color.

12) Car title says black but car is Chicle Brown. Either I got swindled on the title or it is a repaint with an engine swap. My upcoming check of the frame serial number will tell all.

The car is cosmetically good and starts right up. It has zero rust. I got the chatter and some wobble. I'm thinking that my car was a barn find a long time ago and had been gone through by a pretty competent guy over the course of time who never got a chance to finish the car. I know it was part of an estate sale a few years ago in Iowa. I bet the shocks had been removed for rebuilding and got tossed out before the estate sale because someone didn't know what they were.

I wrote down the name of the prior owner and will post that at some point. Maybe someone knows the car/prior owner? We love the car and am enjoying going through it from radiator to rear bumper. I gotta get rid of the chatter though....

Last edited by braol; 08-09-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Misspelling
braol is offline   Reply With Quote