View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #15
braol

Default Re: Picking Up first Model A tomorrow!!!

So here's the delivery story: Attended the Pietenpol Airplane Annual Reunion in Brodhead, WI Saturday morning with car trailer in tow. For those who don't know, the Pietenpol is a homebuilt airplane powered by a Model A engine. I discourage everyone from learning more...I mean vintage airplanes with Model A engines?! It's like catnip!!! We split from there around 4pm and head for western Iowa. A million hours later and we're finally back at home in Kenosha, WI Sunday evening. I didn't get to play with my new toy at all because I had to hit the road again for N. Wisconsin for a Monday meeting...

...back to the meat of the story: Trying to back the car down the car trailer and I stall it. Battery dies on restart...recharge...finally get it started. By this time I have a large crowd of old, male neighbors gathered around giving advice and trying to look under the hood. I was politely able to finally get it off the trailer and into the garage...followed by about an hour of answering questions. A smattering of neighbor wives finally came out to summon their husbands home. (My wife started asking questions about the Pietenpol airplane parts in the back of the "A"...I distracted her with cheesecake...)

So here's the overall scoop:
Good: almost zero rust, windows all go up and down, starts right up, all new tires and brakes, new headliner and interior panel material (not sure if it is correct), barely leaks (i'll check levels today), electrics all seem to work.

Cons: Needs a clutch, steam coming out of lower radiator hose area when hot, battery might need replacement, front seats are vinyl and rear has some kind of scratchy black seat cover on it, fuel gauge needs cork float, headlights need new reflectors (very yellow and not sharp beams), top of hood has some shallow dents all over, no door lock keys, door strikers are worn and doors do not seat as tight as they should when closed, floorboard screws missing, paint needs a good polish.

Upgrades done by prior owner: turn signals, newer electric wiper, 2nd taillight, that's it...

Plans: This is to be a driver and to be mostly original. #1 Is my steam out the lower hose issue. I think it's just a bad hose. 4. #2 Clutch. It shudders on launch from stop. #3 Test battery and generator...no sense in getting stranded somewhere. #4 Those seats HAVE to match the rest of the interior...it's galling. #4 Get a flapper outfit for my wife!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1931-Ford.jpg (48.2 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by braol; 07-25-2018 at 01:25 PM.
braol is offline   Reply With Quote