View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 04:31 PM   #12
steve s

Default Re: amp gAGE question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry shook View Post
... The only wireing i have done is i had to run a wire from the battery to the ing switch. For the electronic ing . I have tried all i know to do.
Jerry,
Now I'm more convinced than ever that your problem is the wiring layout. If you really ran a wire directly from the battery to the ignition switch, you have bypassed the ammeter, which explains why it is not deflecting. If you follow the wiring, I think you will see that your new wire is not only feeding the ignition but also connects through the coil back to the post on the junction box that also connects to the alternator and thereby the lights and horn, all of which now avoid the ammeter. But, without seeing what other changes the guy who installed the electronic ignition unit may have made, it's impossible to tell you specifically how to fix.

Do you have a friend in local club who can trace electrical circuitry? It's fairly simple linear thinking but you need to know the principle and pay attention to detail. The principle is that there must be a conductive path for the electrons to get from one battery terminal to the other, and they must be forced to go through the "load" you want them to operate along the way; if there are two paths they can take, they will take the easier one, like, say, around an ammeter.

IF all your other wiring is really as originally laid out, removing your new wire and forcing the ignition switch to get its juice through the ammeter via the junction box should fix your problem.

Why did you have to install the new wire? Maybe the ammeter in the car that time, or one of the connections thereto, was bad.

In case you don't have one, here is a picture of the original wiring diagram. This was changed early-on to have that short black wire going from the coil to the top junction box lug actually go to the other junction lug; that way, the ignition circuit current was forced to go through and register on the ammeter. If you study this, I think you can see how your wire from the battery (actually, from the starter switch, I presume) to the ignition has bypassed the ammeter, causing it to not register.

Steve

Last edited by steve s; 12-31-2011 at 05:05 PM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote