View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 06:36 PM   #53
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: lowest oil pressure for engine to survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
40 deluxe, what we are think about is the high volume pump which happens to be the 80# variety, actually what we are looking for is more oil flow not necessarily a lot more pressure

Heres some food for thought using the 80# pump will not give you more flow. If more flow is what your after than the Melling M-15 HIGH volume oil pump is the one to use. Now I know theres going to be a flood of comments that the M-15 pump should not be used however. The decision to try a pump for more flow will only be accomplished by installing the M-15. And to add to more comments heres what you should do with your front pressure relief spring area. Place a small ball bearing in the chamber doing this will close off that front oil leak complexly. Use the plunger {the stem will need to be shortened slightly so the cover can go on} and spring to hold the bearing in place. You should see a slight improvement in your pressure reading. And the answer is yes to the question have I tried this myself and I can say no flatheads were harmed in any way during those experiments. As a matter of fact they all have survived rather well.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote