View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 01:39 AM   #5
M2M

Default Re: When going for SCAT crank should you lighten flywheel? If so, how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Yes, most of us lighten them by machining them for a V8 clutch and removing some metal from the back side of the wheel, resulting in a wheel that weighs 35-37 lbs. The last couple that I had done I had machined for a diaphragm clutch because they are much smoother. A lot of guys think the flywheel must mate-up with the crank weight. The two are very stupid and one does not know what the other weighs or is doing. Lighter weight will give you faster acceleration, and deceleration but the horsepower does not change.

Jim, how does gearing affect the equation? For example, a guy comes to you with a car that has 3.27 hi-speed gears, which obviously weakens it's hill climbing ability. In this situation isn't a heavier stock flywheel better than a lightened? Does a heavier flywheel help in pulling hills? If no, tell us why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The torque factor changes with less kinetic energy. Too little kinetic energy can lead to rod stretch if rpm gets too high too quick. Scat crank sometimes like to crack. An aluminum flywheel would likely be overkill but a trimmed stocker as was mentioned is about as good as it gets.

You've seen or heard of SCAT Model A cranks cracking? I've heard of problems with SCAT T cracks, a Swiss guy broke two of them but that was probably because he installed them himself without knowing what he was doing.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote