View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #46
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Boring a flathead

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Floored View Post
Ron, the statement you're making about the Flatheads falling off at 4500 rpm is the exact reason why I think there is an inherent "dam" in the performance arena of the Flathead Ford. As you know at low engine speeds the Flathead's intake port/transfer area can easily cope with flow requirements. As engine speeds rise the port I feel either works pretty well or can be made to work pretty well. It's just that it's flipped on it's back and directing that airflow smack dab into the wall created by the cyl head. I'm convinced that by raising the dome over the cylinder significantly one could then significantly raise power due to less of a "flow dam" effect. I don't think trying to get the charge to make an abrupt turn like a stock or hi compression head does is the way to go at hi engine speeds.

I'm absolutely aching to test this theory. I realize that some racers of the past have done this with great succes but I would like to see what this can do on a street engine. I am seriously thinking of 3 5/16" x 4 1/4" or maybe even a 3 3/8" bore if my block checks out.

I'd be curious on this because if you look at a Model A head, that dome area can't be any more open and thusly the 4.5 or 5 (don't quote me on that) to 1 compression.

I'm really curious on what you have in mind to cope with the loss of compression if you open up that area in the head?

I also believe the flathead is a engine of compromises. You can certainly do a lot of tricks to it, but those trick come at a cost by impacting performance in other areas.

95% of the guys running a flathead in their car would be tickled pinked with a nice, stout (+/- 276 c.i.) street engine after compared to a stoker. These engines can still be built to stay together for many years for $5K or under.

Anything more in the realm of tricks that you can't do yourself, the costs start to multiply quickly.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote