View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 09:06 AM   #11
Railcarmover
BANNED

Default Re: Alloy radiators, what's your experience? Hard water is NOT our friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Whether you decide to use water or anti freeze my experience is that Hard water with minerals in it is BAD news for radiator tubes clogging with calcium deposits.

Personally I insist on Anti freeze. I have seen too many cracked blocks and water jackets worn so thin from being rusted out from the inside. But is another topic.

I knew a guy who had two restored cars with new insert engines with no anti freeze. He died and wife sold cars to guy in Canada. The shipping company was storm delayed 3 or 4 days and both blocks and Snyder heads were cracked. She felt guilty enough to refund the buyer $8000 for two engines and two new "blown out" radiators.

I drove over 600,000 miles for the company with water cooled cars of various makes. Not counting 140,000 with air cooled VWs.

Distilled water (NOT deionized) is best and cheap to mix with anti freezes. No more calcium clogged tubes.

"And that is the rest of the story ..."
I run natures antifreeze in my '67 type 1..thats one thing with an early Vw,you never run out of coolant..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote