View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #7
Corley

Default Re: Alloy radiators, what's your experience?

Here is the thing about aluminum radiators. They carrode. So, you say, do all radiators. I say, aluminum carrodes much faster due to electrolysis. But think about the thickness of the tubes. Those cannot be repaired on an aluminum radiator. I've seen aluminum that is completely eaten through 1/2" thickness in only a few years, from electrolysis. What chance do those thin tubes have if hit wit corrosion?

But there are lots of brass radiators running around that came on original cars. So, do you want a 5-10 year radiator, or do you want a 100 year plus radiator.

All that said, there are cases where they can cool better than a brass one. Several of the GMC motorhome guys use one because they say they cool better than brass, and you see them used in many hot rods without fast failures. And, I have one in one of my Studebakers, that has worked fine for about 8 years now. I just don't think a model A is the best application for one.

If you do run an aluminum radiators, don't use straight water, be sure whatever you put in it has a corrosion inhibitor. Just my opinion, nothing more.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote