View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #25
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Model A motor froze-up

Wow! I think half a cup would have been plenty! It's OK though, Just try to catch it when it runs out of the spark plug holes. If there water/Antifreeze in the engine thats good, No leaks! Let's concentrate on the engine first. Cooling system can come later. While you're soaking the engine, better drain all the old gas and flush the tank. There may be rust particles. Pour a little fresh gas directly through the tank. Maybe half a gallon or so to flush all the crud out. Reassemble the system and take the fuel line off and make sure it's clear. before you put the gas line on the carburetor, put a little gas in the tank and open the valve and see if it runs through. Keep rocking it in 3rd gear all the while.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyModelA View Post
Ha! The guy at the NAPA store fibbed. He didn't have the Kroil. I did manage to get the MMO Marvel Miracle Oil from him though. I took the spark plugs out, poured about a cup of MMO into each spark plug hole, put Betsy into high gear, and then my husband and I rocked the pick up back and forth. Heard sloshing somewhere. Not sure if it was in the motor or if it was old gas. Will try the crank in a few days and perhaps more rocking. I'm thinking about emptying the radiator, putting clean water through for a flush. Will want to put water back in, but need a coolant. What should I mix with the water? Antifreeze or alcohol? I sound like a kindergarten kid, but I have to start at the beginning. Thanks for your help.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote