View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 06:40 AM   #8
Synchro909

Default Re: Amount of oil remaining in the engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Hey Synchro,

Blame it on the British. Since Australia is still part of “Empire”, I would think you would have kept the weird British System. Wish the U.S. had gone to the Metric System. They teach it in science classes over here but it hard to visualize because everything else is in pints, quarts, and gallons.

David Serrano
Dave, I understand the British system (I grew up with it) but why did you Americans fiddle with it? If you're going to use a "gallon", why not use the "proper" or original gallon. Likewise a ton. I've never heard an explanation for why liquid measures and weights were changed by you guys but not distances. I'd love to hear if anybody can explain it, really.
The confusion IMO, comes about because we don't know which gallon or quart or ton is being used when figures are quoted. If everybody used metric, we would all know what is going on. As far as I know, the US is the only place in the world that is not.
Like you I think the US would be better off gong metric but it's not up to me. When we changed, as I remember, things went quite smoothly with the possible exception of the more senior people who had difficulty for a while getting used to he new way. Kids these days have no clue about the imperial system.