View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #14
ilgrilleto

Default Re: Strange "Clanking Noise" at Idle

Hi Dave,

Thanks again for replying to another one of my threads, if you're ever in the area, beer is on me I used that procedure with the engine cold, and now with the engine warmed up, lash on each intake/exhaust in in the ballpark of 0.017-0.019, so the method seemed to work OK. I double check for good measure, though i'm really hoping it's the flex plate/flex plate bolts.

Edit: I know how the original post sounded, so I cleared it up with this a bit down below:

Sorry, to be clear, the procedure was to essentially tighten the adjuster down to 0 lash, then back off a quarter turn (90 degrees) which theoretically equals 0.19" lash. Recommendations online suggested to tighten down until the pushrods put up a small amount of resistance when rotated, then back off from there. The procedure is here:

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/tech/html/valvelash.html

I will say that after this procedure the valve train was infinitely quieter, and the engine seemed to run quite a bit more smoothly. Feeler gauge confirmed that I was in the ball park of 0.19 on intake/exhaust so it was good enough for me.

Thanks,
Vince

Last edited by ilgrilleto; 07-29-2020 at 05:44 PM.
ilgrilleto is offline   Reply With Quote