View Single Post
Old 06-26-2021, 10:15 PM   #176
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Bruce,
No I attended about 2 months and realized I was learning more on the farm from Dad and Grandpa than in that class. We never had much and had to make something out of nothing most of the time as kids. Working on the farms for 40 years you pick up a few things.

Folks,
Update on the wheels and lock rings. Started trying to come up with a way to squeeze these rings to get them back round and close together at the seam. It is a process that you need to "feel" somewhat as you apply the pressure. I also removed the offset twist by stretching them apart until they laid flat on the work table. Drew a chalk line around the perimeter of a rim to have a guide line for the shape of the lock ring too.
This is the tooling and method. Pipe clamp had just enough stroke to compress the lock ring just enough to start to bring it back. Several applications at strategic points. Its all about the tooling!:

You can see it is squezzed a couple inches past the joint, then will spring back.

Here is one of the 7 that came out tight. most have 1/2 inch gap that can easily be moved together.

This is the stack of 7 lock rings. I think I am going to put these together without the nuts welded and bolt holding them at the joint:

Next to work on the rims, needle scaling and very light grinding to clean up the groove area. May pick up a quart of POR for the inside of the rims and lock ring.
Heard a lot about it, never used it?

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 06-26-2021 at 10:21 PM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote