View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Trouble installing headlight cork gasket

FWIW, just about (4) years ago I removed & polishing both original Model A silver plated reflectors with a Hanes cotton undershirt & regular Wright's silverware polish from Wal-Mart. The silver plating was in great shape as well as the former gaskets. Former car collector owner said he had never polished them during the past 20 years while this car was stored in his heated garage.

I had used small dabs of ultraviolet resistant exterior rated type G.E. Clear Silicone Sealant, (caulking), meeting Federal Specifications TT-S-00230C & ASTM C920 at 1/4 points between the gasket & the painted steel headlight rim. Also used same sealant (4) years ago to glue 30 degree cut ends of new gaskets together. Have witnessed favorable results of tons of this exterior type G.E. sealant product since it was first introduced by G.E. over 40 years ago.

The other day, I bought new headlight sockets, removed the glass headlight lenses, & easily removed the (4) year old gaskets. The small dabs of this non-hardening rubbery G.E. sealant was easily removed from the gaskets, the glass, & the painted steel headlight rims by lightly rubbing it off like dried rubber cement.

After (4) years or so, the silver finish looked like I had just polished it yesterday.

A few years back, Mr. Marco had posted a message either on this Forum or the other one that one could obtain great success keeping silver plated reflectors very shiny "if" & only "if" the headlight gaskets were carefully & properly provided to seal the silver plated reflectors from being exposed to the atmosphere -- absolutely no doubt he definitely knew what he was talking about.

This sealant cures & sets in about 30 minutes if I remember correctly. Appears this partucular sealant had no adverse effect on the silver plating after (4) years.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 03-02-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote