View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 02:23 PM   #11
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Converting Victoria from auto to manual, help needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53vicki View Post
My Dad has a 53 Victoria Fordmatic that is, in short, absolutely no fun to drive. He's always wished it was a 3 speed column shift. I know this is a 54 & newer forum but I'm thinking I may be best off with a more modern 3 speed than a 49-53.

Please tell me what year 3 speed with OD will be best to use. I read that 62 Ford's had the 1st full synchro 3 speed - i have no idea what year range of 3 speeds will fit in his 53. Also read that the trans must have side mounted shift linkage in order to have it be column shift.

I'd like to get as modern a trans as possible that will allow it to be bolt in - no major modifications - if that means I need to get a 3 speed from 1949-53 then that's what I'll do. If a newer 3 speed just needs a cross member made that's do- able. Ford trucks in the mid 80's used 3 speeds with OD but I doubt those could work with a column shift. ?

Thanks Guys !
On the first full synchro trans: This was only on the plain 3 speed trannies. The overdrive ones kept the old style non-synchro low gear.
In my opinion, the overdrive is far superior to a plain 3 speed, well worth the extra time to install. Get that donor car and it's a simple bolt-in deal. As an example, there are dimples on the firewall of your car that mark where the relay bolts on, and a knockout plug in the floor under the gas pedal where the kickdown switch goes.
Be sure to swap in the overdrive rear gears. This will make that flathead wake up and run! Remember, that Fordomatic starts out in 2nd gear unless the gas pedal is completely floored (and the linkage properly set). With the O/D's 4.11 gears it's a whole different animal. Plus, when in overdrive, the rear axle ratio is effectively about 2.90 to 1, so gas mileage goes way up. The kickdown feature ("passing gear") is nice to have, too. And, 2nd overdrive is sometimes just the ratio you need.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote