View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 12:24 AM   #31
Benson

Default Re: Leaking Zenith Carburetor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
I have never used the sight gauge that the vendors sell, the home made one that I show above works very good. If you add gaskets it will show a different fuel level, when you start the engine it will go down a very small amount then quickly go back up. When the engine is reved up the fuel level goes down a small mount, and when it returns to idle it comes back up. When the engine is turned off the fuel level goes up slightly. It seems that the fuel level is about 1/16" lower with the engine running than when the engine is off.
I do not know why the ones sold by the vendors do not work properly, mine might have a larger diameter tube and is not affected by capillary action like a small tube, just guessing.
I found the same problem with the capillary action of the smaller diameter tubes in the most common gauges being sold.

My solution was to make one with a tube that is about 3-4 times larger.

The last I heard was that Dave Renner was selling the larger diameter models on his website called Renners Corner.

I will have to dig out that gauge that I made ... if I can find it. I lost track of it along time ago and I have been using one of Dave's gauges for a number of years.

Last edited by Benson; 02-23-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote