View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #5
TJMack

Default Re: Leaking Zenith Carburetor

Katy, yes, I checked the float level numerous times, and did try setting it lower. Even that didn’t work. I knew what was causing the leak, the float valve not holding, but I couldn’t figure out why. It was driving me crazy.

Yblockhead, it was leaking with the engine off, and I presume it leaked with it running as well. So your idea of the shut off valve being the culprit is an EXCELLENT theory!

During one of my numerous think sessions while staring at the split carb, I actually had a thought that maybe it was related to the head created by the gas in the tank, but my idea was diametrically opposed to yours. I was wondering if, for some reason, the valve was not able to hold the head. I quickly dismissed the idea after thinking of the fuel pressure generated by a working fuel pump.

The reason I especially like your theory is the fact that my shut-off valve was in fact leaking a little. I knew this and had one on order, but they were back-ordered so I was left with time to dream up all sorts of solutions for the leak while I waited for it to come.

I never thought it would solve the float leaking problem but I think you hit the nail squarely on the head. I usually know better than to change two things at the same time when trying to diagnose a problem. I violated that rule on this. The shut-off valve came in the same shipment with the new float valve and float. Not thinking that the shut-off valve might be the root cause, I went ahead and put in the new one, and then installed the new float valve and float before trying it.

As I mentioned earlier, the stupid thing still leaked when I got done, but I unfortunately at this time can’t remember if I tried it with the shut-off valve closed. The frustration level had risen quite a bit.

For the hell of it, I decided to put back the original float and float valve and give it a try. When I did, all was well again. The new float valve must be defective or just have something in it. But you can imagine how that messed with my mind.

So it looks like you deserve one at-a-boy. Your theory is most ingenious and thoughtful, and most likely the answer that I’ve been looking for. I’d like to buy you a beer!

TJMack is offline   Reply With Quote