View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 09:01 AM   #53
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Speedway’s Valve Train Components

My love affair with the L-100 was based on the fact that it actually ran that heavt Ambulance quite well, That was in the late 80's and the sound was just right. The vast number of engines I built back then had the L-100 cam. Back then I was a performance minded builder. It didn't take long to find out the pitfalls of the cam. It doesn't work well in small low compression engines. But Richard of FL also proved in the right engine it could also give goor fuel economy . up to that time I wasn't using the vacuum advance on my SBC distributors. I sold a 296ci engine to a fellow with on of these distributors, he sent it to texas where it was converted to electronics and a vacuum advance. Engine was in a 35 PU and the acceleration was scary, engine was still running when he replaced it with a blown 294. Haven't had a ride in that one yet. I was converting these distributors since the 70's but nobody was interested in flatheads then, I even converted one for a 59 block, there is a picture of it in my bood. It might work today because MSD makes a crab cap for the SBC dist. Have to dig that out and see if it works. You have to use a Pontiac dist for that conversion.. I digress, getting old, still putzin.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote