View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 09:10 AM   #34
GOSFAST

Default Re: Speedway’s Valve Train Components

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Here is a pretty good article with a bunch of dyno tests on modern/thin ring packages. As JWL noted, there isn't a huge HP increase in switching over, so if cost is your big issue, then stick with the older ring packages. This is a good read . . .

https://www.dragzine.com/tech-storie...t-on-the-dyno/
Hi Dale, not really the best example, you would have to first test a stock "cast-iron" ring build, either a stock 5/64" or in the case of the OEM Flathead a 4-ring piston with a cast 3/32" and 3/16" ring pack, then swap ONLY the pistons/rings to the 1.5, 1.5, 3.0 ring pack.

We've been down this road on the dyno just a few years ago, I can all but guarantee you will see 20+ (nominal) HP with the metric ring setup, assuming the correct bore finish AND a block plate in the program!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's the results from 2 tests, both are OEM Merc builds (4.000" stroke), same C.I., one had some Nylen pistons and (4) cast rings the other had the Ross metrics. The OEM, cast ring/cast piston build, made about 110 HP and the Ross build made very close to 130. The Ross build also had the 2.000" rod journals! We were NOT chasing HP on either build! On a side note, the dynoed build in the ride in my signature below here made 155+ HP with a single (small) Holley.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote