View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Body sandblasting

I don't use over 45 lbs pressure, the finest sand (around here it is #50), what plans do you have for protection from rust on the newly sandblasted metal ---I have had good results with Picklex20, it has allowed me to do body work and welding without worrying about rust returning, some blasted parts have hung inside for 5+ years without rust

Anything mechanical will get sand inside---door latches, window regulators etc ---everything should be removed, glass can be damaged from 5 feet, even sand bounced off metal can etch nearby glass ---even the gas tank should be out so nooks can be blasted, the welting will need to be replaced anyway, if the tank is taken out later the rust that is hidden will be exposed, the garnish mouldings should be off.

The first time I had a body done someone else did it ----if the person you are thinking of says they will do it in their spare time while blasting a bridge ---run away

All metal that has been blasted should be treated for rust /primed the same day even if you don't sleep that night
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote