View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
SDJason

Talking Disappearing spark update - SOLVED (and thank you!)

It's ALIVE!!
So - it's the beginning of the weekend again, so I decided to take another look at my disappearing spark problem (as noted here and here).

My first effort was to try the "jack up the rear wheels and give 'em a spin" in lieu of push-starting - no go.

Next up was to take another look at the points - got out the feeler gauges and set them to 0.018", and noticed that the locking screw already was loose (hmm?). Well, tightened that down and put everything back together.

Battery disconnect ON, fully retard, throttle down, key on (note -amps on the ammeter), choke out, GAV 1/8 CCW, hit the starter - signs of life! The engine definitely tried to catch, but sputtered out quickly.

Checked everything again: oops, forgot to turn on the gas shut-off valve.
Turn that on - try again - more almost signs of life. Hit the starter another 2-3 times - and SUCCESS!

I let the engine run for a minute or two, then pulled out of the garage. I resisted the urge immediately go out for a drive, and just went 15 feet or so and pulled back into the garage (which I found out was the right decision - in my excitement, I forgot that my multimeter, spare parts, toolbag, etc. were all sitting on the running board - I was reminded of that after I got out of the car and saw them there), not to mention that the hood was still completely open.

Anyways - I think the problem was the points - they seemed to be set about right before, but with the locking screw loosened, it obviously wasn't working.

Thank you all again for the hints & tips! (especially for suggesting taking another look at the points - you know who you are…)

I think I'm gonna grab a snack, then go for an afternoon drive while it's still sunny out…

THANK YOU

Last edited by SDJason; 04-12-2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: changed 0.18" to 0.018"
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote