View Single Post
Old 11-21-2020, 10:04 AM   #18
rotorwrench

Default Re: Miss on newly rebuilt 292

From my past experience, a lot of Standard Motor Parts stuff was made in Mexico. They have also purchased the Echlin brand of parts that had been good quality products for many years. I don't know what that effect will be on the condensers they manufacture now and in the future.

I still use Echlin brand condensers for now since all of mine are still working well for the moment. I had an iregular miss fire problem with a Ford FE 390 distributor back when I still owned a T-Bird of that vintage. It had the transistorized ignition that was failing so I converted it back to a standard breaker point system. It still had a miss ever now and then so I pulled the distributor and found that the top bushing had enough play to allow point breaker gap irregularity. I replaced it with a good unit and the miss went away.

Lower quality condensers are likely the main problem with the early standard breaker systems. I still buy two or three at a time just to get one that will operate reliably. It's a sad state of affairs but it's doubtful it will get better unless a person fabricates their own condenser or finds one from a reliable source.

Reliable spark plugs would be the next item on the list.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote