View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
Jrappl

Default Re: Miss on newly rebuilt 292

Thanks for the replies. I think that the spark is not strong enough and will be focusing on ignition. I've checked valve lash several times and the valves are not too tight.

I did bypass the external resistor but also replaced the coil with one with an internal resistor so the points should see about the same voltage. The old coil tests ok with 1.4ohm resistance on the primary and about 6K on the secondary. New one with internal resistor tests at 3.3ohm primary and about 8K secondary. I will swap the old one back in just to test but it's 61+ years old so I may also try another new one just for kicks.

As far as I can tell the distributor is an original 1959. When I cleaned it I checked for play/slop in the bushings but didn't notice any. Car has 61K miles on it but was sitting for 45 years! That distributor was a real pain to get out of the block!

I purchased all ignition parts from Rock (coil, points, condenser, rotor, cap, plugs). It's all Standard Motor stuff that I have had good luck with in the past but have no idea where it was made. I do see they sell a UNITED MOTOR PRODUCTS CP501 set of points they call "Heavy Duty". Do you think these are better or still crap?

I'm using OE style Autolite #45 copper resistor plugs. I've recleaned them and gapped to .035 - they look new again. I tested all 8 for resistance and shorts and they all test good. I've always had good luck with autolite plugs. I suppose Platinum might last longer but either should work.
Jrappl is offline   Reply With Quote