View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Thrust bearings from Boston Gear?

When you approach the bearing page starting from bostongear.com, I come to the same issue with their web page. This looks like some kind of InternetVirus - isn't this the time?

I will venture an opinion though regarding bearings: there are few bearings made specifically in the US anymore. MOST onshore bearing providers now offer Chinese bearings made under their own name and to their own specification. This includes my fave Timken which above all other bearings I believe has held a standard.

This is not to run down Chinese production of certain items. Vince Falter of another board did time overseas and has had dealings with all sorts of Chinese ware. He will say and I will agree - you get what you pay for. If you want cheap - China will provide. If you want quality China will provide - for a price.

There is a lot of interest on the board on NOS (New Old Stock) of which your 1971 ball bearing kingpin bearings seem to apply. I'm not sure you could find better given today's market without engaging a name such as Timken.

I was part of the recent discussion on transmission roller/needle bearings. The discussion came to Hyatt bearings of which I am now pretty convinced were original in this Ford application. Seeing my own stock of these low, I took the opportunity to buy on Ebay a pair of cluster gear bearings which met my visual approval. They came and I have "receipt inspected" and verified yet another pair of Hyatts.

I have other non-Hyatt bearings for this application, probably acceptable too given Tom Endy's "white paper" explaining the design defect of certain modern bearings which these others do not show.

Roller versus ball may be your question: each has its strengths and weaknesses. Angular roller bearings tend to a theoretical defect to "pigeontoe" and get chipped on the edges of the rollers. Ball bearings don't suffer this defect but do suffer from "brinnelling" quicker than rollers given their unit contact pressure is greater.

I think given what you have and its "Made in USA" qualification, I would probably use those despite being ball bearings.

Joe K