View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 01:44 AM   #275
Drbrown

Default Re: Fordbarn Average Age

Age 76; will be 77 in July.

Car #1 bought at age 15 for $60. A 4-door '48 Ford with no reverse gear and a leaking radiator. It worked. It went forward. What fun ! I slept with a flash light and a Clinton's Auto Repair Manual under my pillow. I painted it with a home vacuum accessory sprayer bottle.

Car #2 was 4-Door 1932 Plymouth fresh out of a barn with only 1000 original miles on it. A beauty - chromed spring-steel bumpers, chrome Lady flying on the radiator cap, big chrome eye-balls on the front, shiny dark blue body, black cloth top, black fenders, wide running/foot boards, yellow pin striping, yellow wire rims, plate glass, broad cloth interior, no heater or radio, foot rest bar in back, no trunk, spare on outside-back, up-draft carborator, babbit bearings, juice brakes. Talk about all original ! Ran good and strong. Never needed repairs. Had a big-bore powerful 4 banger. Milled the head a little and welded a dual exhaust on the exh manifold. Sounded good and nasty. Showed its back side to many a '51-52 Ford and Merc off the line too.

In here for a last round in a lovely restored '47 maroon coupe. Wish I had that '32 Plymouth tranny and diff in it tho - excellent combo of gear ratios.

At 76 its easy to digress. Dan
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote