View Single Post
Old 12-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #293
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Photos of the '39 p/u tank.
It will work great! Been doing some measuring and looks good. I found a bit of time this afternoon to make a mock-up of a rear barn door. This has been a real big problem because of my lack of a real plan on this build. I like to think that nothing is insurmountable, and I still believe that. Between the heavy rear pillars, which are about 3" x 5" I installed a horizontal cross member which I felt would be notched for bumper brackets at a later date. When I got around to planning rear doors or a tailgate and hatch I found that the layout was not compatible with what I had built. On a ford woodie, the tailgate incorporates that horizontal cross member, and it is hinged in such a way as to fold into that space. My design lead to a very strong rear section, but did not allow for a bottom rail on the doors or tailgate. Now my plan is to saw out the 1 x 6 maple cross member and save the bottom 2" or replace the 1 x 6 with a 1 x 2 which is backed up underneath with a strong maple or maybe steel structure to give the rear some extra rigidity. Either way, this mockup is where I am now. I am no stranger to re-work and I will start out with the chainsaw and end up with a router pattern using a top bearing bit. I have all the maple on hand for the rear doors and hope to start this phase after the holidays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barndoors woodie 020.jpg (57.1 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg barndoors woodie 022.jpg (54.8 KB, 95 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote