View Single Post
Old 10-03-2021, 07:28 PM   #16
KULTULZ

Post Re: rocker arm oiling problems on Y block

Quote:
Their thinking is that detergents will dislodge sludge or semi-hardened oil particles which will then go to places in the engine they shouldn't. I suppose that is a risk, but I've found that using modern detergent oil will work if you change the oil every 100-200 miles for the first five oil changes. Oil could be filthy and filled with clumps in that first 100 mile oil change.
The FYB had a very poor crank-case ventilation system design and when combined with the oil quality of that period would cause sludge and waxing in the engine. Modern oils will eat at that and the main problem is it's coming loose and blocking the oil pump pickup and resultant no pressure.

If you have an old one that was not serviced properly, it is best to monitor oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. If no oil to the valve-train, there is a blockage and there are cures for that before major engine damage.

Quote:
Yep, I have heard if you have your heads milled that needs adressed again.
Or having the block decked.

TED EATON has a multitude of TECH ARTICLES covering all of this.

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote