View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 09:29 PM   #22
goodcar

Default Re: Model A Registration Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
Today I went to look at a 1931 Model A that is for sale. I liked it, it is a good ten footer in very good running condition. The price was negotiated and I am happy with it. This is the situation:
1. The owner has passed away and his wife is selling the car.
2. The car has an out of state plate and registration and a title. It seems that the owner felt it was more convenient to keep the old paper work then to re-register the car in his new home state.
3. I have a copy of the title and death certificate and plan to go to the DMV for advice before I seal the deal with payment.
4. After I got back home, I find that the VIN # on the title does not match the number on the engine. The engine must have been changed when it was rebuilt. I suppose the VIN # on the frame may match the title but who wants to go through all the work of removing the front fender?

I want the car but I'm afraid I will be laughed out of the DMV trying to register a car with a different ID number. Has anyone run across a situation like this? Any suggestions? Thank you, Ed
I had a similar situation with the car I bought several years ago. Two of the previous owners were deceased, car was passed on to second owner's daughter. Our state allowed for a notarized affidavit from the daughter to enable me to register the car and get a new title. Part of the process involved removing the fender, loosening the body bolts and slighty lifting the body enough to read the vin---not a big job. Start with your state dmv, as others have said, every state is different. You probably have several options, just consider them all before you act.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)