View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #24
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Flathead Lifter Adjusting - "On the Bench"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
Not a lot of experience doing it, but I had always understood it's bad to screw the adjusters outward. They won't have as tight of interference on the threads then. Do you guys run into this?

Do you guys ever use any locking fluid in the adjusters after they have a "final" adjustment? I can see it would be a bear to keep them clean and lube-free while all the assembly is happening, and impossible to clean again once in the engine.
There can be a lot of issues with adjustable lifters . . . with many used ones having adjusters that are too loose (from being used/adjusted many times). One reason I use longer valves is so that when I'm running a big camshaft (which will then have a smaller diameter base circle), I don't end up needing a "longer lifter" to fill the gap.

With a big cam, adjustables and stock length valves (and no lash caps), you have to "fill the gap" by backing the adjusters way out - which tends to reduce the number of threads in the "interference fit" - which tends to cause the adjusters to be loose and then back-off. This is why the lash adjustment keeps growing . . . and you start hearing lifter noise. This is also why Ford's original design (non-adjustables) works really well . . . there is nothing to "loosen up" later on . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote