Thread: Nitrocellulose
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2021, 11:04 PM   #15
JayJay

Default Re: Nitrocellulose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
Our government here in California definitely had something to do with lacquer paint. I can no longer buy lacquer paint in California. I have the stuff shipped out of state to a relative and he forwards it on to me. I can not buy the good slow lacquer thinners in California so I have to make up my own. I can buy the retarders out of state that slow down the lacquer thinner and have them shipped directly to me and I can buy the basic lacquer thinner and here in California and I mix my own "slow" thinner but the California Government will not allow the "slow" thinners to be sold in California.

I still use Acrylic Lacquer but it is getting harder to do.

Chris W.

Well said, Chris. And it varies within California as well. In the SF Bay Area you are not allowed to use single-stage urethane at all because the VOC (Volatile Organic Carbon) content is too high - you must use a basecoat/clearcoat combo. (That's the Bay Area Air Quality Management District, which has similar regs to South Coast AQMD). But I can drive an hour to a different Air Quality Management District (Monterey Bay AQMD) and purchase single-stage paints.

And it's not just automotive paints. Old fashioned "solvent-based" polyurethane wood floor coating is only available in quart cans or less, no gallons. So to do a floor in the old school stuff (you know, the stuff that lasts for years and years) you need to somehow get someone to order you case-lots of quart cans. Otherwise you have to use the newer water-based top coats, which in my experience don't last on floors or cabinets worth a damn.

And don't even think about buying nitrocellulose lacquer in a rattle can.

Fortunately Reno is not too far for me to drive, I can easily do it back and forth in one day.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote