View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 08:15 AM   #32
larrys40

Default Re: New at this. 1930 Model A 3 window Murray

Kyle,
If you haven't bought it you are at a good point right now... let me explain, as you have options.

I've worked on many Model A's for folks and many if not most of them require some major chassis and driveline work to bring them up to snuff. Getting done with a roadster this week and of course the rear axle was broke but it started as that and went to trans, brakes shot, front end, steering, electrical, distributor, carb, and more.

You can see it quickly adds up and before long your at 4K,5K,8K and more.
I haven't seen any underhood pics ( maybe I missed them) and so I know you could probably throw 5K easy at that car to bring it up to snuff.

You have the choice here to keep looking at other options, and drive them.
Taking into your budget.... and what it might cost to put that car or something else into shape you will probably spend more in the 14-16 range to be there. Maybe more if you don't do your own work... And I would say at this point that you would need expert help.

Each one you drive you gain experience and learn. Some drive well, some terrible. The worst "A" I ever drove was a "restored" car someone was selling.
I bought it, but fixed it, and it was then awesome afterwards.

Paint of course is incorrect for that car. that's a factor, I'm sure mechanicals are NOT top notch and will need work.

- With wheels straight ahead, how much steering play is there? If over an inch will need work.

-Look at front brake levers from the side of the wheels, is the lever forward or almost straight. if straight its not a good sign. are the rear brake lever arms loose in the bushings. How does it stop. Screech or slow stop?

-Engine noisy-listen for knocking sounds.

You get the idea.. lots of potential issues and for a novice it can be aggravating and expensive. In my opinion I would go look at as many as you can and you will gain some knowledge doing so. Read Les Andrews mechanical books for an overview and other Model A books like the old "How to Restore your Model A Series".. etc
You will understand how much work it takes to "Restore" one properly and then know what you are looking at.

As Kevin notes many times in his post it's amazing that a well restored car can and will perform at 55-60. Many times guys are afraid past 40 or 45. Too bad as in todays traffic and roads it requires speeds, stopping, and performance at speeds more than that... and you would want you car to be able to and should handle it.

10, 500... I think that's just the beginning. It's probably a $7,500 car in my opinion that is going to require much more to be roadable. And.. as noted the wood is major factor in a 4-door. But then I would make another selection if I was looking. Look at others, don't get hung up on this one, drive, learn, get someone local who is really schooled at "A"'s mechanically to go look at one with you. I do that all the time for guys and wish many had done so before they bought.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote