View Single Post
Old 11-12-2021, 09:43 PM   #41
Gene F

Default Re: Preparing for the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Cab View Post
Good morning everyone,

I was going to jump back in last night but thought I would let it run until this morning. I must say that you have given me a lot to think about and a lot to get started on.
I too had the idea of owning a car for each of the grandkids but the reality of that has set in that most of them would not want it or know what to do with it.

When my dad passed away he thought he was dividing up his cars fairly and gave me a 53 Chevy Convertible and a 31 Deluxe Rdst. My brother got a 34 Cabriolet. I personally don't think the deal was fair for my brother but he isn't a car guy and gave the Cabriolet to his son who took the rare dual side mount front fenders off, along with the rear to make a "Hiboy" out of it. He is to busy so the Cabriolet just sits in his garage.

I gave my son the 53 and because of the cost of new tires and lack of time it too just sits in the garage. I had given my daughter my 30 Rdst. PU but now have it back in my garage after her divorce. At least her x didn't force her to sell it. I had given it to them thinking that they would enjoy it but her husband wasn't into old cars.

I think from reading all of your thoughts that I am going to sit down with the kids after talking to my wife and form a plan for making sure the government doesn't get anything from the deal and my wife and kids are happy.

I know we need a trust as soon as possible so I will start working on that. I will also incorporate some of your other ideas as well. I love just sitting and looking at my cars, memorabilia and tools. I actually call my shop my museum. It is mostly memories that I have made over the years so kind of hard to pass those along. Whether I wind up selling it all and enjoying retirement a little more if/when that day comes or saving it for the kids will remain to be seen. I may have sufficient time to know what would be best for them but am going to prepare as if I don't. After all, it is only stuff!

Thanks so much for letting me put this topic out there. Each of your responses were valuable.

I had to giggle after reading this. I have been caught a time in the garage or barn, sitting in one of my cars with a cookie and a bottle of beer just enjoying the view. LOL (I'm 61)
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote