View Single Post
Old 05-28-2021, 07:22 PM   #9
mumpsimus

Default 221 rear main needed, and a question about width

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
More likely, whoever ground the crankshaft, widened the thrust faces with the edge of the wheel. You definitely do not want to reassemble the engine with .025" end float! Like I've previously said, Ford did supply bearings .015" longer in some sizes, but I cannot find a part number for .040". Barnfind has .040" bearings, possibly he has the .015" over length version too, however, you'll still have excessive end float. So, either build up the thrust faces of the new bearings and re-machine to suit, build up and re-machine the crankshaft- many $$$$$, or find another crankshaft. If I were you, I'd use option 3, try and find a crankshaft with closer to std sized journals

I thought about it for a quick minute, then took the main bearing to a local friend who is a pre1916 car machinist. He’s adding babbit to the thrust face tomorrow. Maybe a previous owner held the clutch in a lot at stoplights which loaded up that bearing and wore the slinger face on the crank. My buddy has done several bearings like this previously, so I’m happy to follow your advice and his. Fingers crossed that I’ll be reassembling the motor next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by mumpsimus; 05-28-2021 at 08:11 PM.
mumpsimus is offline   Reply With Quote