View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #30
Johnnya101

Default Re: Membership dropping, interest too???

Well folks,

I can give you a first hand experience to younger kids and old cars. I am 17 so I should know a thing or two about the kids of today .

None of them care.

Im sure that you all know that already, but it just confirms your suspicions. I built a model T speedster last year, talked about it a ton, photos, whatever. Not one of my friends or classmates could care at all. They all seem to be interested in sports (Which has always been a common hobby type thing), and video games, or even nothing! (Quite a few kids have absolutely no hobbies...) There have been a couple of kids I have met that have been interested in newer cars, Im talking 60s and up. Anything before that? Not at all.

I think something that is a huge "hurdle" into getting younger people into antique cars is the price. As an example, right now, I am looking for a model A to buy. Ive saved up the past few years, and have about $7000 to spend. What can that get me? About 80% of the As out there for $7000 are full of issues, or have no paint, or no interior, or all of the above. Yes, the nice ones are out there, but dont exactly come across too often. Thats fine and all, but the cost to do that work is a substantial amount most of the time. I cant just come up with another $3000 for a new interior overnight. Instead, now its a waiting game of getting enough saved up again to complete work. And then theres finding the time with school and all.

However, lets say I had $10000 to spend. I can find 100s of really nice As for that price.

I am an outlier. I am considered insane for "wasting" all of my money on antique cars. Most kids could probably safely afford $5000. Whats that get ya? A rust bucket.

Kids are not getting into this hobby because 1. Who wants a slow antique car?, and 2., Who has an extra $10000 to spend at 17? Very very very few.

For $5000, instead of a rust bucket A I could buy a super nice original 60s Ford!

It seems quite a few folks on this forum bought their As in the 50s. Lets take an example of someone that bought a 31 coupe in 1957 for $100.00. That money today is... $914! Today... how much for a decent driver? $7000 and up! Id say that there is a large gap in prices. Nobody is going to ever let a nice A go for prices like those! So how is a kid supposed to get into this? Wait until they are retired and have plenty of money and time?

You also cant use a model A daily in most of the country, which requires the purchase of another car...

Just my opinion on this whole issue.

Last edited by Johnnya101; 11-05-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Johnnya101 is offline   Reply With Quote