Thread: rubber....
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 10:59 PM   #8
hardtimes

Default Re: rubber....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-Pickup View Post
Its true, most Model A owners will not step up to pay extra for better quality. Even when you can demonstrate with numbers (as has been said) that paying extra now is far less expensive than doing the job again, and again.

My father-in-law, the nice guy that he was, was the poster child for 'cheap-gimme-china-cheap'. He died owning NOTHING of quality...he was surrounded by his own mediocrity his whole life. Why do people choose to live like that!?

I'll answer question for myself, that if I could buy USA quality rubber parts for my model A....for triple the price of what most charge now, without question, I'd step up for that quality.

WHY ?
Just think of all the work that goes into putting that crappy imitation rubber into place on you model A ! I like working on my Model A, but not to constantly taking off the same parts over/over and putting same crap rubber on. So, what's three/four times the price for QUALITY rubber parts, compared to hours/work dis-assembling and assembling....just to redo with bad rubber. Maybe I'll just make my own out of USA made quality sheet rubber, if such can be found.

And, don't be too hard on the 'old timers' for being frugal ! Unless you walked in their shoes ! In other words, if you haven't had and/or lived thru hardtimes, you really do not have a clue. In todays throw away world, more is wasted than the old timers could have ever dreamed of having.
However, that being said, at least they had good quality USA made rubber, something that we do not have.
I just visited with my 99yr old FIL , yesterday birthday. I'm not a young guy, but he has me by 25 years. I don't tell him any 'war stories' about how hard it was coming up, because he tells about 'things' that are hard to top/follow. He drove USED Model As to work for many/many years, not because he loved them, but because had to, and learned how to fix and repair daily !!

Last edited by hardtimes; 03-13-2018 at 11:02 PM. Reason: ................
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote