View Single Post
Old 12-04-2021, 12:02 PM   #45
Tim Ayers

Default Re: L-100 & 9" clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyodyne View Post
Thanks Brian, that experience is exactly what I hoped to see when I asked.
Can you elaborate on "not impressed"? Not rev as high as expected, too lazy down low, too peaky, hard to tune the carbs, idle too high, etc?

Exactly what I plan.When I decided to stay smaller, I had Pete grind a 1007B, do you think that's a good choice? Looks like a have a press on gear L100 to sell.
I'm working on compression. I have repro aluminum 34 heads, was considering even doing some welding in the chambers to make them smaller while they are still new.
I'm planning on a lightened steel flywheel and 9" clutch, after removing the heavy ring I can mill the back to resemble an aluminum wheel, not certain of the finished weight yet but would be a compromise between an aluminum wheel and a normal steel wheel.
Just be careful taking too much away from the flywheel. Someone here (Maybe Dale- AKA Bored & Stroked) had a tale of a lightened steel flywheel coming apart.

I believe B&S worked with RAM clutches and got a lightened steel flywheel made that has reliefs in the back like you are looking to do.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 12-04-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote