View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #23
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: Bench testing convertible top motor

Thought I would finish my original question. As it turns out the window motors on the 53' Merc are all 4 wire motors. So by taking the diagram for the window motors and using a window motor relay, I was able to complete the bench test of my new 4 wire top motor. There was the question, which wires acted in pairs. Two ways to find out. One is by taking the motor apart and tracing the wires, the other is to accept that the wire with the round grommet is the ground wire. In this case it is the (+), since this is a positive ground car. Then all you need to do is use a multi-meter and find the other wire that has continuity with the ground wire and you have the first pair. The other two wires then become the 2nd pair. Since the only wire diagram I had showed wire coding that did not match the wires on the motor, I used colored shrink tubing to code the wires on the motor to match the diagram. I did go the extra step and paint the tabs of the terminals on the relay just to make it easier if I took all of the wires off of the relay and lost the wiring diagram. I have attached a couple of pictures that reflect the bench test. I realize that this information will only apply to less than 5% of you out there, the ones that have 3 or 4 wire motors and screw jacks to lift the convertible top of your 52'-53' Ford or Mercury, but some times the question just needs to be answered and any way these motors are getting real hard for find in working condition. This way you can be a bit more flexible in your search for a replacement or back up motor, screw jacks and relay - which is what this system is for me, since it is always good to have the hard to find spares.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7765.jpg (49.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7763.jpg (56.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7761.jpg (55.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg relay4wirediagram.jpg (35.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Relay4wiremotor.jpg (27.4 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-26-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote