View Single Post
Old 04-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #25
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: The A will not move

I replaces an axle in my sept 29 strip down without removing the back end . I used a spring spreader and removed the spring shackle on the drivers side . I carefully unbolted the drivers side axle housing and was able to remove it without tearing the gasket up too badly .. I removed the axle nut and then the hub and drum on the passenger side . I could then pull doth axles and differential out from the drivers side . The differential housing will need to be unbolted and separated . Marke the differential housing so that you will be able to bolt it back together , the same way that it came appart . There are three spider gears that fit between the axles . Start the replacement axle through the removed side of the differential and fit the pieces back together as they came apart . I used non hardening gasket maker and fitted the pieces of the gasket back in place . The back end had been silent before disassembly . I didn't remove any bearings and could really see no need in going through the usual bearing set up ritual . The back end is still quiet . the only reason that I replaced the axle was because the threads were bad .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote