View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #33
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Should I pass on this A? Or would I miss out on something?

I see how new you are to mod. A s, I was there myself when I bought my Town Sedan. It was worse than yours, much worse! It does appear to be a Town Sedan. It has cowl lights, rear seat fold down arm rest. Where is the interior light, in the center? or just above the rear window? The wood is intimidating. Does it appear to have been stored in a damp area?. The rot seems to start at the bottom . The total cost of new wood is about $8,ooo, I was able to duplicate a lot of the bad wood in mine. But bear in mind, There's not a right angle in any of it. How's the tin, bodywork? Is it a mass of rust, did mice get to it? There are many replacement patch panels made for a A and the cost isn't bad. Really good fenders will cost about $400-500 for the fronts and about 250-300 for the rears . How's the steering box? does it have a click in it? (Broken upper bearing race) Does it have a lot of play in the steering wheel? It may need an adjustment or a rebuild- parts are about 3-4 hundred. How's the glass? A windshield cost me $150. I don't mean to discourage you, only educate. I would allow the owner to see these costs and then apply them to his cost. You might have a winner! then again ,maybe not. I believe that the fordors were junked in large numbers and are becoming a little scarce. The Town Sedan was the top of the fordors and are genuinely worth saving.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote