View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 07:04 AM   #29
History

Default Re: Trailering tips for protection

I told my son if he wanted to live to be an old man he better start acting like an old man. Old guys know how to use a knife and pee behind a bush if the wind is blowing hard. Old guys get old because they avoid stuff young dead guys don't.

That's being said ^^^, I wouldn't drain the gas myself unless it was leaking. The weight won't matter much from the gas alone. Yeah it's fuel if there's a crash and sparks but I'd take the risk myself.

The load being proportioned is very important. I once loaded a skid steer bucket on the back of a lawn mower dual axle trailer to have it repaired. It almost crashed me with it hooked to a 3500 Dodge 4x4 dually dump bed truck. The truck is almost 8k pounds empty so it's not a toy. I was amazed at how the trailer controlled the truck. I have a lot of seat time on tractors, silage trucks with no brakes sliders ect,, and I drove an 18 wheeler for a few year. My point is, I should have known and did but never imagined such a small weight as the loader bucket could do that. Once saw a man with a brand new chevy 3500 4x4 Silverado and a brand new kubota tractor over the bank from???? You guessed it, tractor was balanced on trailer with no tongue weight.

I might pull a trailer with no brakes but the load would have to be almost nothing, especially if you don't have experience pulling things. I have brakes on both axles of a 16 foot tag trailer I use to haul logs,equipment,,,,,. The lawn mower trailer doesn't have brakes and only an expanded metal floor so there's not much danger of needing brakes. Just make sure the mower or whatever is loaded in the front.
History is offline   Reply With Quote