Thread: Flat o matic.
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #6
scooder

Default Re: Flat o matic.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks chaps,
From what I've read in the instructions it's a balancing act between the torque converter nuts hitting the cam/oil pump idler cover and the starter ring gear hitting the starter bendix gear with the starter at rest.
Apparently there is a need to clearance grind an area on the block to miss the torque converter bolts on pre 8BA engines.
I'll knock one up out of some 3/16" stock. It states the normal way of mounting the parts is, spacer on then flexplate, and check clearance at the starter gears. It's due to this info I've reckoned that I'll probably need the spacer.
42Merc, if it's really not to much bother, I'd love to have the measured thickness.
Chris,
You've fitted two of these kits, what do you think of the way it works? Did you find that the C4 eat all your power and turned the car into a slug? Or did they feel like they had the same power as before, and your left leg liked you much more? Just so I know what to expect.
Thanks for the info all,
I won't be contacting Gene, I spoke to him before about an article in an old American Rodder magazine, from this experience I guess he didn't like "over sea folk" or maybe just me. Real shame, every other person I've spoke to in the USA has been unbelievably courteous and helpful. Except Flathead Jack, he was just unbelievable!
Again many thanks,
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote