Thread: 1948 pilot
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2021, 11:29 PM   #7
Brian

Default Re: 1948 pilot

Ford V8 Pilot; I've owned a few of them over the years. They are, in my opinion, a very dated product of Ford Dagenham, utilising parts from the pre-war English V8 60's. Very dated, because, compare the styling of a 49 Pilot with what Ford USA were making in 49. The hardest part to source for a Pilot, would be the grill. It is made of individual chrome plated brass bars, 'pop' riveted together. They basically 'fall apart'. I know they resemble the grill of a Ford 10 Prefect, but the Prefect grill is punched outta one piece of metal, and is, as a result, much stronger.
There is some interchangeability of Pilot parts into their American 35-36 cousins; the ultimate part being the windscreen frame; the Pilot frame is chromed brass, MUCH superior to the USA stuff.
The front axle 'dimensionally' resembles 35-36 USA, but incorporates a sway bar, that links off/onto the front of the radius rods.
The exhaust manifolds are more free flowing than the log type as fitted to USA models.
There are heaps of other differences too, but the above three examples are features I incorporate into my 35.
Some English made stuff is better, you see....